Friday, February 29, 2008

Broccoli Romanesco and Chestnut Soup

This week, two beautiful purplish hued heads of broccoli romanesco were peeking out of my CSA box.  Having no idea what to do with them I did a quick search online and found out that the vegetable works well as a cauliflower substitute. Fortunately, I'd been having a hankering for creamy cauliflower soup.

Organic Broccoli Romanesco and Chestnut Soup (saute leeks and green garlic in canola oil until very soft; add diced broccoli romanesco and saute until just starting to brown, cover and water and simmer about 20 mins, or until soft - - saute more slice leeks in another pan in oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar, continue cooking until slightly carmelized, add about 1 cp. of chopped chestnuts - not water chestnuts, the kind used in classic Thanksgiving dressing - and saute a few more minutes, add to cooked broccoli and puree entire mixture, adding salt and pepper to taste and additional water if necessary - add a splash of half and half for a creamier soup); organic salad greens; homemade half whole wheat buttermilk biscuit; and an organic fuji apple.  All vegetables from my Full Belly Farm CSA.

The biscuits were wrapped in the napkin (I threw in an extra one and a chunk of cheese as an afterthought in case the soup was rejected).

waste generated: none :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanine,
I too am a fully belly subscriber, and I saw your blurb in the recent beet, so came to your site and love what you're doing. two suggestions, since I don't blog and don't know what's possible, but up top it would be good to give people lists of useful container resources for the containers you recommend, either brands, websites or stores to find them. also shopping lists or item lists for your recipes makes it easier for pulling together what's needed. Thanks for doing this for all of us, I'll be referring friends to you. You go girl!!

Jeanine said...

Those are great suggestions, but I just don't have the time (I rarely even include recipes). I try to spend only about 15 minutes a day on photos and descriptions, so although I agree that it would make it much easier, it is just too much for me! The blog is meant more to get people thinking about ways to serve healthy, seasonal meals to their kids - more of a starting place than a guide (if that makes sense).

As for containers, aside from my laptop lunch box (reference for this is found to the left of the blog) I use whatever I have in my kitchen - -frigovere glass containers I use for leftovers, things picked up at yardsales, old scraps of cloth I've hemmed, bandanas, an old dented thermos I found moldy and half buried on a school playground, and other random items!

Jeanine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well, could you at least tell us which playgrounds you recommend for finding our own moldy dented thermos? I'd really like to get one of those!

Anonymous said...

Well, could you at least tell us which playgrounds you recommend for finding our own moldy dented thermos? I'd really like to get one of those!

Aubrey West @ Healthy Easy Recipes said...

I haven't heard about chestnut soup before. Thanks for the healthy recipe!