Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Siete De Mayo

I have no idea how I skipped over Cinco De Mayo without as much as a pinto bean in Aidan's lunch.  In an effort to make amends I've made Empanadas, which is probably worse than doing nothing since it is my understanding that although there is much debate about the exact origin of empanadas (Chile? Spain? the Moor's), NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE claims they originated in Mexico.  But here they are, in all their glory gracing my Siete De Mayo lunchbox creation:

Chicken Empanadas (Shredded Rosie Organic Chicken, Organic Valley pepperjack cheese and sourcream, cilantro, red onion, cumin, and garlic) with Mango Salsa (mangoes, cucumbers, lime juice, cilantro, and red onion); Organic mixed greens with cucumber and radish; and Mexican Wedding Cake Cookie (made deliciously by a friend). 

waste generated: rectangle of parchment paper

1 comment:

Aubrey West @ Healthy School Lunch Ideas said...

We also have our different versions of empanada here in us. But wherever its origin is, empanada tastes so great. And could be a good lunch too.